Re: filmscanners: Primefilm 1800i

For those interested in buying their very first film
scanner, or trading up from an existing model, I humbly
suggest eBay as a source of very good deals, particularly
at the moment -- where new market entries from several
major vendors are causing a lot of turnover in equipment.

If you're unsure of which model to buy, use the web
to get a feel for the various models -- there are many
review sites, comments on usenet forums, and so on.
Bear in mind that there will be a lot of hype, both
pro and con, on almost any model.  Take the more
extreme opinions with a large grain of salt.

To search usenet archives, go to www.deja.com.

Usenet groups that discuss scanners include (for
example) comp.periphs.scanners, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
and rec.photo.equipment.medium-format.

Sites that offer reviews of various film scanners
(either by columnists, or by the public) can be
found via the usual web-search engines.  One of
the better ones I've stumbled into recently is
www.photographyreview.com

I've personally had only good luck buying photo gear
on eBay.  Standard caveats apply, of course.  Choose
your sellers carefully, read the fine print, and ask
appropriate questions before you bid.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.