Re: filmscanners: PS 6.0 v. PS 5.0 LE v. Jasc Paintshop Pro 7.02

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, S. Matthew Prastein wrote:

> I'm new to all this, just getting my feet wet, and have a very basic
> question about image processing software.  It's clear, from all the
> content here, that PS, and in particular PS 6.0, is the Rosetta stone,
> an essential professional tool for achieving image quality, and
> uniformity, in publishing.

Photoshop can be mighty intimidating when you're
just starting out.  Lots of us have been there.

No doubt several other competent packages can
accomplish the same results, and almost always
for less $$ than Adobe's latest.

The one BIG advantage with PS is that it's the
program that sets the standard, and the terminology,
for the rest of the pack.

One option you might consider is a pre-owned copy
of an older PS version (say 4.x or 5.x) on eBay,
which can be had for far, far less $$$ than the
retail cost of PS 6.

FWIW -- and this is a minority opinion, for sure --
you can do just fine without all the ICC color
management stuff.  I still do nearly all of my work
in PS 4.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.