Re: filmscanners: Film Scanner Question Again

Thanks Rob...it confirms my worst fears...but I have done two 11x16 prints from
slides albeith b&w and one looks real good and the other more than
adequate...although maybe I should look to the skills of the photographer (me)
for the success of the print. Heh Heh!!!

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> "Rick Decker" <rickdecker@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> > I have 3 parameters on my 1640SU scanner - "Source Size" , "Target Size"
> > and "DPI".  The manual tells me to "Increase Resolution" as I increase
> > Target Size.
>
> Anyone else have an Epson flatbed who can comment?  Scanner manufacturers
> seem to make things needlessly complicated with settings like this.
>
> I can't remember what the maximum "real" ppi of the 1640 is, Rick, but
> essentially
> you want to scan so you're getting that maximum.  You don't want to exceed
> it
> or you're just getting interpolated data, and you don't want to scan at less
> or
> you're not making the most of the scanner's resolution.  OK, I just checked
> the
> Epson site.  The 1640 is 1600ppi.  If you scan a 1 inch square off a frame
> of
> film, you'll get 1600x1600 pixels.  Print that at 300dpi and the image will
> be
> 5.3" x 5.3".  If you use the 3200ppi mode of the scanner one dimension is
> interpolated, but that would give you twice the print size without
> resampling.
> In my past experience there's little improvement in data once you get to the
> smaller
> of the ppi limits of a flatbed (1600ppi in this case).
>
> Hope that's some help!
>
> Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.