RE: filmscanners: Nikon LS IV/Nikoscan 3.0

I was worried, when I bought my LS40, that NS 3.0 would drive me crazy on my
Win98 PC (note, not Win98SE which is recommended - ordinary 98 isn't).  It
crashed, twice, in 3 days of heavy usage.  I was pleased that it was nowhere
near as bad as reports led me to expect.

Upgrading to 3.1, it hasn't crashed at all in 2 weeks of intensive scanning
(2-7 hours per day).

The user interface of NS is really fantastic.  Photoshop could learn a thing
or two (i.e the combined Levels/Curves/Histogram palettes).

There are peeps with NS 2.5 who prefer it, it seems.  I think there's a
degree of luck involved here.  3.1 is much more popular than 3.0.  I guess I
was lucky to buy the scanner a few days after 3.1 became available for
download...

Unfortunately, NS is incapable of treating "difficult" negs with the respect
that they deserve.  It is rather slap-happy with its exposure, causing sky
to blow out if the sky is only a small portion of the image (despite the
fact that the sky is entirely within the dynamic range of the neg).  If NS
was a camera, most people would reject the camera's auto-exposures as
unusable, in my view.  NS applies a too-low gamma to the images it produces
and it over-saturates most colour and makes people look like they've been
grilled for a minute or too (their skin is too pink).  (All of these
comments apply to negs - slides seem pretty spectacular!)

For negs, Vuescan seems entirely neutral in terms of exposure (leaving you
to make the choice as to whether you want highlights or shadows to
compress - if at all) but it also seems to be a little under-saturated (Fuji
Super G, Kodak Supra 400/800) and imparts subtle hue shifts that make me
think "Vuescan".  Vuescan is certainly the better software of the two, in
terms of the final image.  I just wish the user interface of Vuescan made
more effort at being "what you see is what you get".  e.g. setting offsets
is pure hit and miss which is a complete fallacy when we have the power of a
*graphical* user interface at our disposal.

Still, it was worth $40 to get a much more convincing idea of how my negs
should look when scanned.  I have a new, fairly radical, approach to
scanning that I want to describe, but I need to spend some time constructing
that description and some supporting files...

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.