RE: filmscanners: Stains and Grains (was Yellow Stain)

Lynn,

No, the light source and the CCD remain stationary while the carrier moves
past. The hot center is along the axis of movement - ie. if you held a paint
brush against the negative and moved the negative horizontally past it you
would end up with a stripe along the negative where the brush wiped. So, the
darker stripes along the edges are not a function of the movement.

I still think the ultimate problem here is in the optics - it just looks too
much like a dispersion or defraction problem. However, I don't think it is
defective (in the broken sense) just inexpensive. And so, we need to learn
how to minimize the effect on those photos that exagerate the problem.

I have hopes of finding out how VS controls the scanner differently and then
being able to make adjustments to the scanning when needed to reduce this.

More to come..

/fn