Re: filmscanners: Film grain vs 2700 DPI scan resolution

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 19:26:33 -0600  Frank Nichols (frank@theNichols.net)
wrote:

> 1. With 200 film, is the grain "large" enough for the 2700 DPI to
> record it?
> If so could some one describe it (or email me a couple scan clips
> showing
> examples?)

No, IME you are unlikely to see genuine grain off ISO200 Fuji using
2700ppi. You are likely to get some aliasing which looks like grain. A way
to check this would be to have a reasonably large C41 print made (say
12x8"). I'll bet.

> 2. Would you expect 1 stop down to be enough to see serious increase in
> grain in 200 film in these conditions?

Yes, you'll likely see quite a large increase in apparent grain in darker
tones (eg shadow areas) especially.

> This weekend I am going to repeat the tests with a couple rolls of FUGI
> Provia 100F to see if the "noise" I am seeing FUGI 200 goes away.

It will.

Also try a slower colour neg film, eg Reala.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons