Re: filmscanners: Time to upgrade: Opinions wanted

I have an Microtek Artixscan 4000 ( mechanically identical to the Polaroid
SS4000 ). It seemed from early reviews that I might be able to scan my
slides a lot faster and in particular avoid the incredibly tedious task of
removing dust if I traded up to the Nikon. Rick then posted this link
(thanks Rick) :

http://www.samcos.com/rick/equip/scannertest/ssvsed.htm

The Nikon "unfiltered" scans look sharper.  But it appears to me that the
SS4000 not only had better shadow detail but suffered far less from film
grain. Both of these are also a pain when scanning. The Nikon could remove
the grain to the Polaroid standard but by then the Polaroid image was
sharper. I have also found that if you scan slides the moment you open the
box for the first time, it takes less than 5 minutes to despot them and you
don't lose any overall sharpness compared to ICE. Usually you can despot
whilst scanning the next slide.

For the family archive I'd quite like the Nikon as some of these are in a
dreadful state, but otherwise I prefer my A4000/SS4000.

Steve