Re: filmscanners: Polaroid 4000 vs. Nikon L4000

>I'm trying to decide between these two scanners. They both claim 16-bit
>output, however the Polaroid scans in 12 bit and outputs in 16; and the
>Nikon scans in 14 bit (I think) and outputs in 16. Are both of these
>options as good as true 16 bit scanning?
>
>Any input would be so appreciated, since I'm really a newbie on this
>subject, but I do want to scan in 16 bit.
>
>Barbara -

My impression is that neither is as good as true 16-bit scanning
would be, that each scanner's software necessarily puts its lower
high-bit scan in a two-byte/16-bit wrapper for the computer,
hopefully without doing any harm by supplying the missing bits. I
don't see how that could be as good as actually having used all 16
bits in the measurement of the colors. But I don't know of a true
16-bit option, and I'm just getting started with the SS4000.

Sam

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.