RE: filmscanners: ScanWit Yellow stain

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:45:48 +0200  Oostrom, Jerry
(Jerry.Oostrom@Alcatel.nl) wrote:

> I recently received my scanner back from Acer, but it still showed the
> same
> problems. Here I have an example of an overexposed negative, which gave
> perfect fine grained print, but scanning with the Scanwit 2720S is
> useless
> for such overexposed negatives as the negative is too dark for the (my)
> scanwit to scan. I don't know if it is the lightbulb which gives uneven
> illumination or dust on the lenses, CCD failures etc, but the outer
> sides of
> the CCD give too much noise on a dark negative / positive and in case
> of a
> negative this results in yellowish banding.
>
> Here I show you the scan, downsampled a lot of times. I did use either
> Vuescan or Miraphoto white balance (which clearly failed, but I know I
> checked both programs for their results: you get this strange color
> cast).

Here, this looks completely out to lunch, especially gamma, which is way
too high. I can't really tell much about the image itself because such
gross gamma correction is required before I can see anything much, and
then a pile of colour correction too. If this looks anything like OK gamma
on your screen, your monitor is off a different planet.

Whilst I can see what you mean about the sort of yellow vignette, the
background - behind the car - has gone an elegant rose pink. I rather
suspect there is nothing wrong with the scanner hardware, but there's a
combination of pushing the exposure envelope, software and (perhaps) user
error here. It's actually quite an interesting effect ;-) almost like
cross-processing.

A small (eg downsampled) Vuescan SCAN000n.tif would be useful at this
stage, if you have s/w which can cope with 16bit/ch files.

Does the scanner work OK on normally-exposed materials?

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons