RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000: An Unbiased Review

Title: RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000: An Unbiased Review

I also have an LS8000.  I got it a week ago and was having the banding problem (as well as AF and various other problems).  The super fine CCD mode did fix it but not I'm not having the problem even though I'm not using super fine CCD mode.  Nikon tech support (who I'm pleased with so far) has recommended that I send it in for service or replacement.

Anyway, a very short review is:

Pro - Excellent scans, reasonably fast considering what's going on, customer service very good, software has a nice feature set, Digital ICE seems to work as advertised without softening the scan.

Con - Bugs, bugs, bugs.  The software just closes on it's own occasionally.  If the scanner is on but NikonScan isn't open, I can't load a film holder.  I'm getting sporadic "can't autofocus" messages.  I don't think the 120 film strip holder is that great.  I can usually get the film to be fairly flat but it takes care.  For the price  they should have included the glass 120 holder.

Overall I really like it and it has all the features I could reasonably ask for.  However, I'd be in love with the thing if there were no bugs.  I have to wonder what they were doing when they delayed the ship date.

Paul Wilson

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.