Re: filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings

Hersch Nitikman wrote:

> For all the concern about the lifetime of CDs, I have been scanning my
> personal archives of slides and color negatives ranging mostly from
> the past 30 years, with a few older. I have to say that most of my
> 30-year old slides and negatives need Digital ROC (Restoration of
> Color) very badly. Ed Hamrick's independent version in Vuescan has
> done some remarkable things for me, turning slides that were very much
> faded to a predominantly magenta image into very much more believable
> ones. I would not count on slides and negatives to be truly 'archival'
> unless stored under 'archival' conditions, and maybe not even then.
> Storing and renewing a digital image on quality media every few years
> still seems like the best means now available.
> Hersch

        This is an interesting idea that doesn't get talked about as much. B&W
film has far better archival qualities than the color stuff. Many people
lump "film" all into one group when obviously there are differences
between films. Maybe digital is the best way to preserve accurate
colors...

Isaac

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.