Re: filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings

At 13:52 22/06/01 -0700, you wrote:

>stuart@shaws2000.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
>

>>>Just wondering, if "glamour" a code word porn these days...
>>
>>No :-))
>
>My reason for asking this actually had a purpose, beyond the humorous.
>Getting quality color processing for certain type of images can prove
>problematic in certain parts of the world.  I'd think (why would I know?
>;-)) that this is an area where digital proves quite, shall we say,
>"convenient", as the "instant" films used to be.

Art- I live in Scotland which is hardly the most liberated of countries
-believe me -and it is relatively easy to get film processed but I
appreciate what you say about digital avoiding any potential problems in
this area.

>>>I have seen output from digital cameras used for quick model portfolio
>>>work, and it looks very reasonable.  If you are making work for the web,
>>>I doubt that whatever defects digital manifests would be very
>>>meaningful.  At the end of the day, the web is a digital media, and so
>>>most of the translation removes the majority of "film" qualities anyway.
>>>(I am speaking here about higher end digital cameras 2-4 megapixel with
>>>good lens and exposure option).
>>>Heck, not to over due the old saw, but... we're speaking of jpegs at
>>>72-120 dpi, aren't we?
>
>If these images will never require reproduction in another form, such as
>printed hard (now I'm speaking glamour!, not as above, so no snickering)
>copy, then the digital will do well.  However, if you might be eventually
>selling images in other formats, or have clients who require other
>formats, unless you are using fairly expensive 'state of the art'
>cameras/backs, you might find you cannot get the quality your clients
>might require or expect.

I would be supplying websites so I probably wouldnt need to produce prints
etc . I would know before the shoot if the output was intended for ,say
magazines, so would shoot transparencies ,if that was the case
Stuart

>Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.