RE: filmscanners: LED Illumination for Film Scanners

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Austin Franklin wrote:

> My guess is you are not an electrical engineer, or you would know that LEDs
> do have a life span.  Because you haven't heard of them burning out, doesn't
> mean they don't burn out.  In fact, their typical MTBF is rated for 1000
> hours.  Incandescent light bulbs are rated for 1000 hours.  Aside from
> having written and reviewed quite a few MTBF and MTTR studies on designs
> that included LEDS, I recently replaced 4 of the 6 LEDs in my
> radio/CD/Cassette in my 1989 Range Rover, so I DO know they do burn out.

1000 hours MTBF can't be right, Austin.

Optocouplers and fiberoptics are ubiquitous these
days, and that figure would imply a rate of failure
that's totally out of line with reality.  Hell,
the entire telecom industry is built on fiberoptics
these days, and the transmitters are always LEDs
of some sort.

Virtually every single (modern) mechanical
actuator these days is either stepper driven
or DC-servo driven, and the latter type usually
use quadrature-encoded OPTICAL position sensors.

(Eg., any inkjet printer made by Epson, Lexmark,
or HP uses optical encoding for the carriage
position.)  Just one example from among tens
of thousands, and maybe a few hundred that
I could cite.  The "sender" in the optocoupler
is a LED (two of 'em, for quadrature encoding.)

I'd believe 100,000 hours MTBF, maybe, but
clearly it'll be a function of several
variables -- mostly the operating current.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.