Re: filmscanners: line on Polaroid SS4000

Before you give up on your scanner, or have to to cut and paste on the
bad line every time, you might want to try to place your scanner on a
different plane (try New York to LA ;-))  NO, seriously, try placing the
scanner on its side and give it some gentle taps on all sides to
dislodge any dust that might have fallen on the CCD.  Then put it back
upright and try again.  It might just be a speck of dirt that needs to
be "vacated".  If that gets you nowhere, then likely it is a defective
CCD element, or a problem with the calibration process.

While on the subject of the "other cause" (a bad CCD element), I have a
bone to pick with manufacturers about this.

I can think of no reason (other than a manufacturing defect) that can
cause a failure of a CCD element, at least none that can be the caused
by a user, other than perhaps excessive use.

I understand that the CCD can't be warranted forever, but it should
provide some reasonable use without failing.  It is a known
manufacturing problem that CCDs can have one or more weak or defective
elements which fail prematurely.  If the person uses the scanner
regularly, they will likely be covered under warranty, as it will fail
prior to the one year anniversary, but if, as in the case of John, the
scanner gets intermittent usage, well, then they get saddled with a huge
repair bill.

This seems completely unfair to me.  A CCD sensor unit should be able to
be reliable for several years, or more to the point, a certain number of
scans.  I'm gonna bet that most scanners have something in the firmware
that keeps track of the number of scans run through the unit, so the
manufacturer could tell (and so could the user), and since the CCD plus
labor is a major expense for replacement, I think a special CCD sensor
warranty of say 3 years or 5000 scans (or whatever) would not be
unreasonable.  Auto manufacturers do the same thing.

So which is the first manufacturer to step up to the plate? (BTW: Nikon
should offer the same deal on their LED array!)

Art

salome1@pacbell.net wrote:

> Hi,
> Earlier, I had posted a "help" message regarding a line that I was
> getting on my scans from the 4000.  If I scan a horizontal  slide, there
> is a light colored line about one third of the way down from the top, it
> goes all the way from left to right.  I called Polaroid and since the
> scanner is out of warranty, it would cost $125 for an estimate and the
> lady on the phone said it might end up costing a total of $500-600 to
> fix. I only use the machine perhaps 3 times a week, so it is not
> something that is critical to my work. Thanks to Paul Chefurka and his
> suggestion to see if the line was one pixel wide, I found my own
> solution.  I just don't feel at this point that I want to spend almost
> half the price of the scanner to have it repaired. In Photoshop, I
> enlarged the image on the monitor to about 1000 per cent. At this
> magnification, you are able to see the individual "lines"  of pixels. I
> selected the line above the light scan line I got and then copied it,
> and then with the move tool, moved it over the line caused by the
> scanner, and it works perfect, you can not tell it is there. It took all
> of maybe 2 minutes to do. I guess this could also be  a good fix for a
> scratch that went from side to side.
>
> John Hough

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.