RE: filmscanners: LED Illumination for Film Scanners

At 09:59 PM 6/20/01 -0400, Austin wrote:

>LEDs have been around for a very long time, and they are reasonably
>inexpensive, as well as very easy to control.  I am sure that if this was
>such a great idea, and the implementation worked near as well as you
>believe, it would have been done some 15-20 years ago as a commercial
>venture, but, alas, it wasn't.

By the same logic, Austin -- Nikon has been using LEDs
as illuminants in scanners for several years now, yet
you seem convinced that there's something fundamentally
wrong with this strategy.

While I've heard many complaints about Nikon scanners
on this list and others, over the years -- banding has
not been one of them.

You're right, LEDs have been around for, what -- 30
years or so now.  The variations in packaging and
encapsulation are amazing -- there are clear lens-like
packages, and translucent diffuser-like packages.
There are monolithic arrays of all shapes and sizes,
also.  There are board-mount styles and surface-mount.

I can easily imagine packages and monolithich LED arrays
that allow for very, very close stacking of LEDs, so that
you could have, say, 20 or 50 or even 100 LEDs per inch.

Use your imagination, Austin. <g> Is it possible that
some engineer at Kodak or Nikon has thought of a
trick with LEDs that hasn't occurred to us yet??
Though I do share your curiosity on just how that
trick works... maybe a patent search could help here.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.