RE: filmscanners: LED Illumination for Film Scanners

At 05:01 PM 6/20/01 -0400, Austin wrote:

>Yes, and incandescent light bulbs used in an enlarger get a condenser
>system, which is entirely different than a cold light head, which is
>basically what most scanners use for illumination.

Ah, but the "dynamics" of a conventional enlarger
are rather different from a film scanner, no?

In an enlarger, exposures take seconds, or tens
of seconds.  Fluctuations in the lamp intensity
will average out, but they cannot cause "banding"
in the print.

Spatial non-uniformities (in an enlarger) will be
dealt with by the diffuser or condenser.  Any
non-uniformities (at the print) can be attributed
to a poor diffuser or condenser design.

In a film scanner, fluctuations in intensity, or
spatial non-uniformities that vary in time (during
the course of the scan) will cause banding.  It's
not a hypothetical situation -- I've seen this effect
in both of my previous film scanners, which used
fluorescent light sources.

This is a rare and anomalous situation (at least in
the better scanners) but it does occur.

I wonder if the Leaf benefits from that ridiculously
huge bulb -- as opposed to the dinky little 4 inch
F4T5 tube used in the older SprintScans and Microtek
machines.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.