RE: filmscanners: Magnification of light - AND brief density math lesson...

At 10:43 PM 6/18/01 -0400, Austin wrote:

[rafe b:]
>> I'm afraid I don't understand.  Doesn't the proper exposure
>> depend on the image under consideration?

[Austin]
>No.  More so the film.  The image data only spans a small part of the 16 bit
>range.  Increasing exposure time only incureases DMax.

Well, this again is contrary to my experience, but I
don't scan BW film all that much.  I would have thought
that BW film would exercise the scanner's dynamic range
more so than color negative film.

On the film scanners I've used, when exposure needs to
be messed with at all, it's always a result of an
over- or underexposed image.

Either that, or an image with a lot of contrast, where
I'm making two separate scans which I will merge in
Photoshop.  There seems to be less need for that trick
as I move to better scanners, tho.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.