Re: filmscanners: what defines this quality?

> Okay, I think I've hit on the image quality I'm looking for, but I don't
> have the words to express it--so maybe someone here can help.
>
> Do you know the different look between something shot on film vs. videotape?

Hi Dan
I seem to remember watching American Football for the first time in the UK
some time back and thinking how fantastic the image quality was. I then
found out that its shot on film. Is this still the case?

> That same difference exists (again, for me) in images shot through some
> lenses vs. others.  I remember seeing a color print at a friend's house that
> was simply amazing: the colors were so rich and deep and glossy that it
> looked like the print was _liquid_--and this despite having been produced
> back in the early 1970's (and obviously well before digital).  My friend
> told me his ex-wife shot it with an Olympus camera (didn't know what lens,
> but likely a Zuiko).

I have to agree. My Yashica 124G TLR produces the most amazing velvia
slides, real punchy. The only modern lens I have that can get close to this
saturation level is my Nikon 80-200ED.

> I see some of this difference--though a bit more subtly--between color
> slides shot through Leica glass vs. Nikkors.  And the same difference seems
> to me to show up between the Leafscan 45 and Nikon 4000 images at
> http://www.pytlowany.com/nikontest.html

Wow that¹s some difference, the Leafscan is beautiful. I want one, how much
are they? gimme gimme.

> So, if anyone knows what I'm talking about (and I have come to appreciate
> that many folks do not see a difference between film and video footage),
> what makes this difference?  It seems like the film-based images contains
> more _light_ somehow, and it makes the images appear richer even than life
> (which tends to my weary eyes to look more and more like videotape).  Is it
> contrast?  Color saturation?  Sharpness?
>
> I have noticed that some video when shot in bright daylight outdoors can
> begin to approach the quality of film footage, but never quite gets there.
>
> In any event, I'm struggling to find an affordable way to get prints that
> look like _that_, the way my slides do under a loupe and when projected.

I've given up comparing prints to the slides, I just haven't got enough
money to resolve it ;-( Don¹t get me wrong, I get excellent results from my
Canon FS2710 (http://homepage.eircom.net/~ricwalsh/index.htm) and Epsom 870,
but comparing them up against chromes is disheartening...so I don¹t do it
anymore and I'm happy.

--

Regards

Richard