Re: filmscanners: SS4000: calibrate and profile?

At 09:35 PM 6/18/01 -0700, you wrote:

>I've added a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 to my desktop (w/o trying to
>level it 8). And installed both Polaroid's PolaColor Insight Pro
>(4.5) software and LaserSoft Imaging's Silverfast 5 software. Both
>were bundled. Silverfast 5 includes an IT-8 calibration module, which
>includes profiling. A C-ROES IT-8 target slide is also bundled. And
>you can download from <silverfast.com> an Ian Lyons tutorial on how
>to use Silverfast to calibrate your SS4000 and use its profile.

Personally, I see little reason to calibrate any scanner.
Maybe that's just me.  Or maybe it's because I scan mostly
color negatives, which are inherently un-profileable.

Calibrate your monitor and your printer, if you like.

When the image arrives (from the scanner) in your image-
editor program (Photoshop, or whatever) then get it looking
the way you want it. If monitor and printer are reasonably
calibrated or profiled, you're home free.

IMHO there is just too much variability in film (exposure,
processing, film type, film aging, scanner bulb variations,
etc.) to warrant the profiling of film scanners.  I just
don't see the point in it.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.