Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Time to upgrade: Opinions wanted

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > I think there is only one happy scanner owner, Ed,
> > in this forum. He is not using it mainly for slides
> > though.
>
> I certainly have the impression that Ed's main use of the scanner is on
> colour neg film.  I think you may have a skewed impression of the satisfaction
> levels because of the nature of the list.  People post most often when they
> have a problem, so it looks like nobody is happy.

I agree with Rob.  The forum is necessary for problems and comparisons, each of
which generate traffic and give the impression that everyone here would rather
have
a differnet scanner than they acquired.  For those purposes, the forum is doing
its
job, in fact, quite well.

> > The rest of people probably own drum scanners or do
> > not own scanners at all.
>
> Ignorance is bliss? :)
>
> > I would expect more input from people owning scanners
> > in $600-$1500 price range. It is unfortunate.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here, because there's no
>previous
> text for reference.  Harking back to the post which started this thread,
> I think there's been a lot of useful feedback.

Regarding the LS-30 I agree because I have one.  Like most other scanners, they
do
a great job if the slide/negative is done correctly.  In other cases, the scan
allows you to manipulate it in another program (PS, PSP) and then improve it as
much as possible.  Sio they are doing their job.

> The automated cleaning in Vuescan, or ICE in Nikonscan makes
> scanning a LOT easier with a minor loss of sharpness.

One of the reasons I got the LS-30 and it is very helpful

> Choosing a scanner has a lot to do with what the buyer wants to do with
> the results.  There's no single answer that is right for everyone.

In the price range you present ( in $ US) I think you pick up about 90% of the
home use scanner price range - both the older ones and the newer models.  In
fact,
your range is so large that it has to be confusing.  Narrow it down, set up
criteria based on what you think is important, like dpi, density range, ICE,
ROC,
GEM etc,  what you will be doing with the output, and of course the price you
want
to pay.  In fact what you want to get as a final output (to me at least) is
probably the most important.  Once the field is narrowed, then ask again and the
answers will really help you make the decision.  This process, including what
you
are doing now, is the same process I went through about 2 years ago.  This list
really did the most help after I narrowed the field.

Gordon

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.