RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

> > OK, I *know* what happens when a very good camera lens does this
> > test--the
> > end of the scale turns to mush. Can anyone say what happens when
> > a CCD does
> > this? My guess would be "noise," but I frankly don't know and I've never
> > seen it done. Any comments? I'm reaching.

It looks like:

 <<Cropped1951.jpg>>

This is a very small snippet of a scan taken with my Minolta Scan Dual from
the 1951 Air Force test target.  The Target is chrome on glass with a
maximum resolution of 228 lpm.  The maximum resolved pattern is group 5,
element 5 which has a resolution of 50.8 lpm = 1,290 line pairs per inch.
Various artifacts appear when trying to image the targets finer than group
5, element 1 (32 lpm).