filmscanners: Frustrating NikonScan 3.1 Problem

Has anyone had any problems with NikonScan 3.1 in Windows 2000?

NikonScan 3.1 only worked correctly for me for the first two days. After
that it always displayed the message "No active devices found." I looked in
TWAIN.LOG to see if there were any debug messages (you can usually find
this file in your TEMP folder) and read:

TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk  ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk  ::OpenServer - Starting Thunker
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk  ::CloseServer - Why Can't We Find The
Thunker Window?

Despite NikonScan's inability to find the "thunker" the scanner was listed
in Device Manager as working properly and Vuescan operated it perfectly.
Specifically this occurred with my Nikon LS-4000 in Windows 2000/SP1.

I've temporarily solved the problem--though I don't know why this
worked--by uninstalling NikonScan 3.1 and reinstalling version 3.0. So now
all the instability and memory bugs are back but NikonScan recognizes the
scanner again.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I wrote with specifics to
Nikon technical support but if my past experience is any guide they won't
respond and if they do their answer will be vague if not outright
irrelevant. I used Sysinternal's Regmon and Filemon in addition to a
Registry before and after tool to try and troubleshoot the problem but
found nothing.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/ http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.