Re: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Chefurka" <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>

> One of the things that has always struck me about my 4000 ppi
scanned images is how much sharper the dust is than any image detail
on the film - even films like Provia 100F.  This implies to me that
the film itself is the limiting factor for "image sharpness".

I'm not really qualified to say this is true, but my belief has been
that the limiting factor is lens and camera but not the film.  Tripod
mounted cameras with mirror lock-up, perfectly flat plates, and
extremely sharp glass will probably still provide finer detail than
the current scanners can pull out.  I've had a few specks of dust on
the film when exposed (leaving a image of itself on the film) and that
dust resolved just as sharp as dust picked up just prior to scanning.
I wouldn't have noticed the difference if it were not for the black
vs. white nature of the specks.

Of course none of my images are razor sharp, due to my gear and
techniques, so I can't do anything but speculate.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.