Re: filmscanners: Films for scanning

At 09:16 AM 6/14/01 +1000, Rob wrote:

>Which makes me disappointed I didn't wait longer and get
>a SS4000 as I'd originally planned.  If this is true, why
>did the scanner manufacturers choose 2700dpi if it's so
>prone to aliasing?  Or are they clueless and simply picked
>it as a reasonable resolution to get an A4 print at 300dpi?
>
>This could get expensive...

2700 was probably the cost-effective resolution limit
until, say, a year or so ago.  Not only that, but until
recently, RAM was expensive enough to preclude the
widespread usage of these huge image files.  (Not to
mention the CPU processing power that they require.)

It's always "onward and upward" in this digital world.

Look at the bright side.  You can buy a used SprintScan
Plus on eBay right now for about 1/4 of what a new one
used to cost, about 2 years ago.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.