Re: filmscanners: Hazy bleed in hi contrast blacks on LS2000

At 5:06 am -0400 6/6/01, IQ3D@aol.com wrote:
>using the LS2000 for some time now and have been very pleased
>with the results. Just recently however we have put through a batch of slides
>with subjects against black backgrounds. The scans have all got a hazy halo
>round all the bright areas

I doubt that it's flare from dust or stuff (but you could give it a
good blast with canned air to see). I've seen this with my LS2000
too. It happens where there are large light areas next to black. The
best explanation that I've heard is a kind of electronic flare - CCD
cells reaching a high enough voltage when strongly illuminated to
induce a higher voltage in their neighbours. Being as the neighbours
should be reporting near zero output for black even a small boost is
significant. Maybe the processing makes it worse.

I've found a high bit multipass scan (best with Vuescan but
Silverfast's almost as good) & careful Photoshop the only way to fix
it.

David Hoffman
--
   David Hoffman Photo Library
  <http://www.hoffmanphotos.com>

  phone +44 (0)20 8981 5041 fax  +44 (0)20 8980 2041

David Hoffman will be away from 16 June 2001 until 1 July 2001.
Photographs are available via Image.Net (http://www.imagenet.co.uk)
where you should first go to register. For further information please
send me a blank email with subject "help imagenet" and you will
receive a detailed description of the service within two to four
hours. For urgent requirements please phone my mobile on 07881 817
751.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.