Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme (LONG)

In a message dated 6/10/2001 9:23:24 AM EST, john@pinkheadedbug.com writes:

> your design goal is to eliminate the specific characteristics of individual
>  emulsions???

The design goal is to reproduce the actual scene as much as
possible.  Displaying the scene on a calibrated monitor should
look like the original scene as much as possible.

>  which we as photographers CHOOSE because we like the rendering???

If you set the film terms to the default, the image should end up
looking like the print you'd get back from Kodak.  It's only if you
set the film type to match the actual film that you'll end up matching
the scene.

Similarly with slide film, if you set "Device|Media type" to
"Image" you'll get a scan that looks like the slide.  If you set
it to "Slide film", you'll get a scan that looks like the original
scene.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.