Re: filmscanners: 24bit - 48bit dilemma & Work flow suggestions

Ramesh Kumar_C wrote:

> This is about 24bits & 48 bits:
>
> Scanner can deliver 36 bits; So I am in a dilemma whether to store the
> scanner output in 48bit TIFF file or 24bit TIFF file.
> I have thought of following 2 methods, let me know which of the following
> will be good.
> a) Store 36BIT Scanner output  in 24 bit TIFF file. Edit this 24bit TIFF
> file in 8-bit channel in PS. This is easy solution.
> b) Store 36BIT Scanner output  in 48 bit TIFF file. Edit this 48bit TIFF
> file in 16-bit channel in PS. Then convert 48bit TIFF file to 24 bits.

My approach to this is:

Scan in 36 bit, and capture as 48 bit scan.  Work in Photoshop in any
aspect that works in 48 bit, and when all those aspects are adjusted,
then convert to 24 bit.

Working in 48 bit provides extra "breathing space" in your ability to
get good adjustments, but it is not without other problems.  Like, it
requires a lot more memory, the processes are slowed down due to the
extra number crunching necessary, and storage at that bit depth is
painfully large.

The main things I have found that benefit from the full bit depth are
levels and curves, contrast and brightness and hue/color balance adjustment.

For amateur use, all of this might be fairly moot, but you need to try
both and see which you find acceptable.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.