Re: filmscanners: Fast, decent, low res scans

Richard N. Moyer wrote:

> One of the things to remember is this: Not all so-called PCI (SCSI)
> cards are really SCSI cards. What I mean is that many companies include
> "SCSI" cards which are/were not conformant with the standards. This is
> very important (conformance with the Standard), and goes back to the
> discussion about "Open" and "Control". The IEEE standards are long and
> complex, and technical, including the various ramifications of the SCSI
> Standard. Companies have often offered "abbreviated" SCSI (really
> shouldn't even use the term SCSI) cards which leave out portions of the
> standard, to cheapen the cost of the card - meaning fewer components.
> They didn't tell you this. This was particularly a problem for PC users,
> who, more often than Mac users, needed SCSI attachment capability. Most
> of these "stunted" cards would connect only the scanner included in the
> package, and would never connect more than one device on a chain in
> accordance with the SCSI standard. I can name names of companies who did
> this, some might surprise you. They did what they thought they could get
> away with; cost foremost in mind. Only to find out "that a penny saved -
> - - -". The same thing has happened with software. Yes there are
> Standards at play here to, one of which you are using now - MIME used in
> e-mail. And the biggest abuser was - - guess who?

Could it be.... Satan?  (Many know him as Bill?)

The above situation is what I suspected might be the case, but, I'll
give an example of the other side.  My UMAX scanner came with a DTC
card, which Umax indicated would only work with their scanner.  UMAX
North America's web site claimed the same thing.  However, on
researching further the UMAX UK site was kind enough to mention that
with a different driver, the card would work with most SCSI products and
support up to 6 other devices, also.  It took some work to configure,
since it required some jumpers be moved (I was luck that my card had the
jumpers, apparently many versions didn't and one would have to cut or
solder wires).  It does work, and I'm running my Zip drive on it, and my
UMAX scanner.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.