Re: filmscanners: OT: Any insight on H.P. vs Epson printers

  • To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
  • Subject: Re: filmscanners: OT: Any insight on H.P. vs Epson printers
  • From: ar164ts@gmx.net
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:25:39 +0200 (MEST)

Lynn wrote:

> Todd wrote:
>
> >I've heard bad horror stories about HP Pavilion (low-end home PC)
> >support....

I shouldn't spill the inside beanz on the pavilion, suffice to say, I
personally won't touch nor recommend it.

However, if all you need is a box, and you never, ever intend to upgrade
it nor open it up, nor have to re-install software, then it's ok (a lot
of other mfgr's "home pc" fall into this class too).

A small percentage of people succeed in using this as a "workstation".
They yank out/disable the sound stuff, the winmodems etc, then identify the
OEMs of various chips and sub-systems, go the OEM's sites and get the
drivers/support.  I know of some one using a Pavilion as a web-server.

> >Overall, HP has a well-deserved industry reputation for solid design,
> >engineering, and support. I'm constantly amazed by how well-built their
> >high-end stuff is, like the aforementioned PA-RISC servers, which are
> >built
> >like tanks and run like the wind. I wish HP would stay out of the low end
> >markets ....

ditto my earlier point about the high-end stuff.  Unfortunately, there's
only so much of income you can get from the high-end stuff (in absolute
dollars, and they do want high growth.....) so......

Here's an interesting point too.  I read some specs/comparisions a year
or two ago.  They compared using a high end server like Sun or HP vs a
generic (PC) system running Linux.  Guess which was faster?  So, vendors
of high-end products need to have a strategy to fight in the low-end
market too (eg "fighting brands" etc) or else they lose their lunch.
Ok, 'nuff of digression :-)

> I would wish the same thing! If a company can't compete in a chosen
> consumer
> market, it should stay out of that market. This isn't rocket science--it's
> the logical thing to do.

Agreed.

> >For those who were complaining about HP's long-distance support numbers,
> >here's a tip: try calling the North American Response Centre first at
> >1-800-633-3600. They may just transfer you to the appropriate
support...it
> >helps if you're friendly with the rep who answers.

or you can write to the CEO.  you always get a response, although it may
be from 1 or 2 levels down.  e-mail/snailmail works.

Cheers
Lawrence