Re: filmscanners: OK, Vuescan is driving me nuts

Tony wrote:

>Auto-levels often has no impact on VS 16bit images, if you have used 'white
balance' and appropriate colour/contrast settings and white point (VS
default clips way too much for me, I set 0.01).

That seems true, now that you point it out. I often avoid 16 bit for just
that reason. This opens up a whole new way of working.

>A neat way to set levels and achieve colour correction at the same time in
PS, is to do levels manually, as follows.
- First adjust the shadow end. I usually do this simply by moving the slider
to clip the histogram a little so blacks are solid.
- Then double-click on the highlight eyedropper and set the tone and colour
which you think a highlight area should be (easiest if you pick an area
which should be a neutral grey, but not always practical). Sample the
intended area with the dropper, and you should find everything comes more or
less right. Because of pixel variations, you may need to sample a few points
before you get the optimum result.
- You can repeat with the midtone dropper, but usually the slider is better
- Use colour correction to do any final tweaks to colour balance, as the
foregoing should have linearised colour inaccuracies.

The eydroppers intimidate the **ll out of me. I guess I'm hoping to see
"Instant Results" (i.e. feedback), which doesn't always happen. Just got a
new PS book from the library, from the "Not QUITE for Dummies" series.
Thanks for the nudge, Tony, I'll work on that.

Best regards--LRA