Re: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

Lynn wrote:
> Good points, John. One also has to ask what the point
> of photography is if you can't show it to people,
> i.e. publish it.

One of my worst experiences with photography started out as a favour to
a friend.  Friends were involved in a Native American dance group, and asked
if I could take some photos of a performance which could be used for promotional
purposes.  I went along, went backstage, when the performance was happening
they specifically announced that I was the ONLY person allowed to take photos.
 I got the films processed and there are some lovely shots in there.  Then
other members of the dance group got angry with my friends for some reason
and my friends left the group.  The next thing I knew, I received a letter
from a lawyer saying that  I didn't take the photos in an official capacity
and I was not allowed to use them in any way.  So now I just feel like burning
the films because I get depressed just thinking about the whole experience.

I will *never* again take photographs in a situation like that without a
signed release of some sort.  If I could afford to, I'd take them to court
just so that I could enjoy photographs that I took quite legitimately.
The really sad part is that they never spoke to me about the photos before
they went to the lawyer.  If they had, I would have sold them the films
just to be rid of it all for less than the lawyer would have charged.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.