RE: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

Johnny,

There is no one US statute or even set of statutes at the federal level.
Each state has its own statutes and /or sets of applicable statutes; some of
the state statutes recognize things that the relevant federal laws do not as
well as recognizing things that other states do not.

Most of the references that I was able to get from the internet mostly
pertain to journalists and celebrities rather than to street
photographers/artists and non-celebrities.  However, I think that the links
below should call into question the completeness of your awareness with
respect to the statement that "As far as I am aware there's no invasion of
privacy statute in US law." It also responds to your statements: "Does US
law really provide for someone to sue for invasion of privacy? I've never
heard of that. I would like to know more if it is true."

While it is true that there is no law or set of laws officially designated
and labeled as "The Invasion of Privacy Act" in the United States or in any
of its individual states, many of the things usually considered as being
related to the invasion of privacy, as you will note from the materials in
the links, fall under differently named laws and torts.

http://www.rbs2.com/privacy.htm
http://lawyers.about.com/careers/lawyers/library/weekly/aa032601a.htm
http://lawyers.about.com/careers/lawyers/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://
www.rcfp.org/photoguide/index.html