filmscanners: Filmscanning vs. Flatbedding

For the last several days I've been "going back to my roots" vis a vis
archiving; scanning old prints again, instead of old negs or slides.
Although I've read Tony's and others' comments on the differences in dynamic
range etc., I'd never really noticed it so much before. Like, with flat
scanning, grain-aliasing isn't much of an issue, dust is removeable with a
Kleenex :-), and it's pretty easy to see if the scanner is seeing what
*you're* seeing and reporting it fairly.

But after a few flatscans, I found myself comparing them in my mind to what
I've been getting on filmscans, thinking things like, "Good Lord, these
photos are faded!", "Why on earth did they print it *that* way?" and "Where
the h*ll did all the *colors* go?"

That's about when it struck me that there's a very good reason why some of
us used to or now have darkrooms--our better chance to control the outcome.
Years ago it was OK with me to the let the local shop dictate how "good" my
pictures were. Now, when I see the difference between prints they made 30-40
years ago and the ones I made last week, I'm starting to think, "Hey, this
filmscanning stuff might just catch on!"  :-)

Best regards--LRA