Re: filmscanners: Stellar ghosts and Nikon Coolscan IVED (LS40)

On Sat, 12 May 2001, tflash wrote:
> > points of light you can get bounce back off film plate in the
> > back of the camera that look like halos.
This should be visible in the original slides too. But it is not.

> To the original poster: Do you smoke?
No.

> Looks like you might have a residue of some type on the lens (like from
> smoke).Or maybe the scanner's assembler left their signature on your unit in
> the form of a thumb print on the lens.
Intersting theory.

>From earlier suggestions I made a test slide where I took a black slide
(unexposed) and punched many needle holes into it and scanned it. So they
are plain holes now in the film. You can see the result at
www.astro.utu.fi/~hlehto/nikontest/tcrop0004small.jpg
(or full resolution in the file tcrop0004.jpg).
The green areas are just painted green to minimise information in .jpg
format. The test is so easy to make that I would be interested in hearing
somebody else's experiences (either privately or through the net) from
other scanners.

Finally, I made a similar test with a piece of cardboard with pinholes.
No film here any more! Had to focus this manually in vuescan, but the
result was the same.

Regards
Harry
hlehto@astro.utu.fi