Re: filmscanners: Thoughts on 6x17 in NIkon 8000ED

The problem with the newer Nikons, in terms of trying to scan longer
frames than it is designed for, is that the Nikon's (other than the
LS-1000/10) don't move the film during scanning, they move the CCD
sensor within the scanner.  The maximum scan length, is therefore
determined by actual hardware constraints. I do not know how the 8000ED
is designed, however.

Some, the HP S-20 for instance, move the film with a stationary CCD
sensor, so the software determines how long (in distance) a scan can be
made, up to some hardware considerations, (with the S-20 it is 4
frames).  With this system, the software determines the maximum length
that is scanned.

Art

Jeffrey Goggin wrote:

>> I guess my question is, can this _mechanically_ be done with this
>> scanner?  I realize the spec is 6x9, but is there anything standing in
>> the way of physically scanning one half at a time?
>

> I know you're asking about the Nikon scanner, with which I have absolutely
> no experience, but FWIW, this should be possible with a Minolta Scan Multi
> and a modified film carrier.  And with just 1128ppi, you won't need as much
> RAM as you will at 4000ppi...  ;^)
>
> I'm working on adapting mine to eliminate the glass and use a magnetic mask
> that holds the film to a steel carrier ... based on my experience with this
> setup in my old scanner, it's much easier to align the film properly and
> I've got to think it will improve image resolution as well, even if only
> slightly.
>

> Jeff Goggin
> Scottsdale, AZ

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.