RE: filmscanners: Scan for television screen

Maris writes ...

> My son needs some photos scanned for display on an
> American television (NOT a monitor).  TVs I am aware
> have screens measured in lines per inch but not dpi.
>
> Question:  What dpi should my resulting image be for
> display on a 21" TV?

        It may depend on how you display the image on an NTSC monitor.  For
example, if I send my 2nd video out to my TV, it somehow compensates for the
TV having fewer lines vertical, and what should be square is actually
square.  On the other hand, if pixels were converted to lines, then the TV
would be missing top and bottom lines.  I remember the Amiga which was
designed for NTSC having a pixel resolution of 640 by 400, but since a
normal TV's aspect ratio is 4:3 like a computer monitor, I believe you
should scan 640 by 480 ... if this provides too many vertical lines for a
TV, then change its image size to 640 by 400 with the "keep aspect ratio"
turned off ... this should make squares true on a TV ... hopefully.

HTH ... shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.