RE: filmscanners: Polaroid 4000 dpi

Both scanners use the same CCD, This issue was during the design phase.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Greenbank [mailto:steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 7:06 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Polaroid 4000 dpi

From: "Hemingway, David J" <HEMINGD@POLAROID.COM>

>With our SS4000 the manufacturer originally was going to use a
> particular CCD because they had a relationship with the manufacturer.
> Polaroid recognized there were higher quality alternatives, and convinced
> the manufacturer to change to a much higher quality CCD.

I bought a Microtek 4000 as it was significantly cheaper (at the time) than
the Polaroid and I could get it supplied with  the highly recommended
Silverfast.

I'm having big trouble with noise in some very dark blue ripples on a Loch.
The original is Fuji Velvia. I'm a bit of a novice but maybe it's because
the Microtek uses the lower quality alternative. I've no idea as I have
never tried the Polaroid I just have difficulty in the really dark areas.

So which CCD is in the Microtek 4000. They are widely thought to be same
machine in a different box.

Steve

PS. The slide has been through photo labs at least 4 times and is a disaster
for dust and scratches too. Should have got an ICE scanner :-(

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.