Re: filmscanners: Cleaning slides

> Can I ask members to detail the way they go about cleaning slides. In my
own
> case, I use an aerosol spray designed for this purpose, then run cold
> running water over them and then dry them off by using the aerosol spray
> once more. Seems to work OK. Kevin Power.

Not a good idea. Water swells the soft gelatin emulsion, making it very
susceptible to damage, and tap water has all sorts of suspended particulate
matter in it. Anything that's in the water may become imbedded in your
slides once they dry. And even when the emulsion is dry to the touch, it's
still soft for a while until it's fully dry.

Use air to blow off the dust, and Pec 12 (which doesn't cause the emulsion
to swell) to clean any stains or fingerprints, and there's no drying time
involved. Just clean and 10 seconds later scan.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.