Re: filmscanners: FW: Dual Scan II - striping

Hi Vlad,

I do see the striping in the sky you speak of.  There are a few
possibilities I can think of that could cause this.  When you say the
problem seems to occur as the scanner is used during a session, is it
possible something other than the scanner is also heating up (like the
computer motherboard or memory) which might also be causing this (for
instance something in the USB circuitry)?

Could there be a connection (USB cable) that might be faulty?  Or
perhaps the scanner lamp is either loose or faulty?  Maybe it is
flickering?  Try tapping lightly on the scanner while it is scanning and
see if you can make the banding more or less frequent.  That might
indicate a loose bulb or other component.

I would first try to isolate the scanner and make sure it is the culprit
rather than the cable of the computer itself... for instance try running
the computer for several hours before turning on the scanner.  If the
banding starts immediately, it "might" indicate the computer being
heated up is the problem.  Then try it with the computer and scanner
turned on the same time, and see if it takes time before the problem
occurs.  This will help to confirm the computer might be at fault.

Change cables, or at least make sure all connections are clean and tight.

If you isolate the problem to the scanner, the next step might be to
simply return it for an exchange, as it is unlikely you can service the
problem yourself.

Art

Vladislav Jurčo wrote:

>> I'm about to make the same switch.  Can you explain in more
>> detail, or show (via
>> a small jpeg) what the striping looks like?  In which
>> direction relative to the
>> scanning process are the stripes?
>>
>> Art
>

> I send you the sample to look at. I think it has something to do with
> temperature in the scanner - it is more apparent after several hours of
> scanning. Stripes are along the frame movement direction they are not sharp
> but blurred, typically dark green in blue area, wide app. 10-15% of frame
> width. Something like that never occured with S20 (several thousands of
> negs)
>
> Vlad
>
> PS I have some problems sending the post this is 4th try-out
> ---
> Odchozí  zpráva neobsahuje viry.
> Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
> Verze: 6.0.237 / Virová báze: 115 - datum vydání: 7.3.2001
> STRIPING202.JPG

> base64

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.