Re: filmscanners: Polaroid 4000 dpi

>From: Charles Platt <cp@panix.com>
>Having only joined this list recently, I don't know if there's been
>discussion on Polaroid vs. Nikon 4000 dpi scanners.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of answers because not many of us
with SS4000s are racing off to the Nikon 4000 since it is a sort of "catch
up" machine to give Nikon some parity with Polaroid in the PPI wars.

I haven't been following the discussion of the Nikon 4000 other than to
catch snippets about edge-to-edge focusing problems/allegations. I nursed
along a Nikon LS-20 for at least a year beyond my "last straw" frustrations
with it after discovering VueScan. The focus problems sound so familiar and
similar to what I was having with the LS-20 that I would run, not walk, to
something else. FWIW I "solved" the problem on a good many images with
VueScan by focusing the image on auto and then switching to manual and
changing the values one way or another about .040 (I think).

This is certainly not a problem I have noticed with the Polaroid SS4000.  I
was a little amazed at the homemade radio looks of the SS4000.  The look and
feel of the Nikons is a lot more impressive. But I have no actual
disappointments with the SS4000 at all.  One needs to keep them very clean
of internal dust.  When they work well, they work very very well.

Joel W.