Re: filmscanners: OT - Virus Alert

(At the risk of being labelled a Dicky..! :)

While I appreciate the thought behind these virus warnings (and it is
actually nice to see one that isn't a hoax!), may I suggest that this isn't
really the correct forum?

Particularly when this virus requires you to doubleclick on an attachment
from an unknown source - I think if you are that silly you deserve to get
infected!

I act as a system admin for a couple of sites, and I find that the virus
*warnings* are MUCH more of a problem than the actual viruses.  So far I
have had 6 warnings today about this one.  Sighhhh...!  Permit me to quote
from the standard response I send out whenever I get these warnings..

<quote>
These warning messages are a form of virus, too!  Why? - well, they spread
and multiply, slow down the internet, block up mail servers, scare people
(often needlessly) etc..

So, how can you guarantee safety?
1. Use a reputable virus checker, and keep it updated
2. Keep your operating system and browser updated (eg Microsoft's Update
site posts security fixes from time to time)
3. Never run email attachments unless you are certain that they are from a
safe source.

It's that simple.  No further warnings required.  :)
<endquote>

Mark T.

At 06:24 PM 18/04/01 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.