RE: filmscanners: Lot of newbie questions

Art wrote:

>This zig zag sound is usually indicative of a scan which is going back
>and forth.  It happens when the hard drive or other location which is
>accepting the data in your computer from the image scan is too slow to
>keep up with the rate the scanner wishes to send it.  With EIDE hard
>drives, often this is a result of not having the drive for DMS data
>interfacing.  If you have a hard rive that has a DMS mode, make sure it
>running that way (change it in the properties menu on a WIN machine).
>If it is unchecked it usually requires a reboot to activate.  If it is
>already checked, it might be worthwhile to uncheck it and try it that
>way.  For some odd reason some drives report backwards.

>Lastly, check to see where the scan files are going, and if they are
>going to C;\windows\temp for instance, make sure that is a fast drive
>partition, and that there is adequate space on that drive.

I have Win2K with 1Ghz CPU. Have 128MB RAM and 30GB free space;
still my scanner makes same zig-zag sound and holder moves back and front.

How to know whether my harddrive supports DMS?

I tried enabling DMS but was not able find it.
I did click on "Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / Disk
Drives" ?
I did not find any reference to DMS. There is some thing called "Write Cache
Enabled".

Am I doing it right ?

> 4. Minolta manual says emulsion side should be up. That way
>
> slides come out reversed. Is that really OK?

I use Print films, Please let me know how to identify emulsion side.

These may be basic stuff but are new to me. Actually I got my scanner
yestarday and this is my first scanner.

Bye
Ramesh

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.