Re: filmscanners: ColorSteps?

Richard,

I ran into a problem with Photoshop 4.01 on the PC where it posterized
badly when I did levels adjustments in 16 bit.  The problem did not
occur if I worked in 8 bit.  It usually happened in midtones going quite
dark blue-black.

I never printed these so, I have no idea what they would have looked
like. However, I was told by some it was probably a graphic/video card
driver problem.  I had upgraded to the newest version, so I contacted
Diamond, my videocard manufacturer.  They admitted there were some
incompatibilities with the card I had and Photoshop, and suggested I
update the card on a trade in basis.

On a last attempt, I upgraded to Photoshop 5.0, and magically the
problem went away, so it was either a PS and Diamond problem, or a PS
only problem, but it's gone now, and I did not replace my videocard or
have I upgraded the driver since.

I recognize your situation is on a Mac, and I don't know if any of this
relates, but obviously PS Version 4 for Windows was buggy.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.