Re: filmscanners: Canon Flatbed D2400UF

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:24:40 +0100  Steve Greenbank
(steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk) wrote:

> If you consiser a full resolution scan of A4 you get approx
> 11(inch)*8(inch)*2400*4800*6(16 bit resolution RGB) = roughly 6GB. This
> will
> take a minimum of 67.5 minutes on USB and a minimum of 2 minutes on
> firewire.

Except most scanners I have looked at max out at shoving 2-3Mb/sec out to
whatever the bus is, because of their internal processing. USB will choke
that back a bit, parallel even moreso (~750k/sec). Even SCSI2 is way
faster than most scanners ever need, so Firewire is complete overkill in
speed terms - but has other things going for it, ease of use etc.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons