filmscanners: Dust removal & flatbed scanners.

> > And here's their new 2400dpi flatbed/tranny scanner
> > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/scanners/csd2400uf/index.html
>
> Interesting that they list FARE as a feature on this flatbed scanner.
> FARE is the name they gave to their IR defect removal technology in their
> 4000 dpi filmscanner announcement.  However, this flatbed doesn't say
> anything about IR and it would be a first (I believe) in a flatbed.

The ASF patent for ICE briefly mentions application to scanning prints, as
does the ASF web site.  But as far as I can tell the Canon is the first
flatbed scanner to implement IR dust removal.

I have also seen a patent by HP that uses appears to sidestep the ICE patent
by using "dark field illumination".  In the ASF patent (actually issued
while Edgar was at IBM) the IR and visible light follow the same path while
the HP patent make a point of describing the two paths as being separate.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.