filmscanners: Re: ed 4000

----- Original Message -----
From: Mikael Risedal <risedal@telia.com>
To: <kingphoto@mindspring.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 6:11 PM
Subject: ed 4000

> We've only seen one complaint about this so far?  Perhaps we should
> wait a bit before coming to any hard and fast conclusions.  And even
> if the DOF is on the shallow side with Nikon's new scanners, there
> will surely be easy fixes for careful workers.  These new scanners
are
> pretty compelling, and I doubt this will turn out to be a major
> problem, if any problem at all.
>
> Dave
>

> Hello Dave
> Please take  a  look on this 2 pictures
> then you understand it is not a minor problem
> And I have 2  ED4000   as test example  and they show the same
problem.
> and also LS2000.
> Mikael Risedal

Hello Mikael,

Perhaps I spoke too soon, but you haven't indicated (anywhere I've
seen at least) if this is a problem on average examples or those only
more curved than usual.  Fresh E-6 out of the lab I normally use is
quite flat.

Personally, I would much rather see a "hi-rez" scanner optimized for
flat than curved.  Increasing DOF may well mean less resolution at the
plane of critical focus.  In general, one doesn't expect higher
resolution devices, analog or digital, to be more kind to film going
out of focal plane, it usually works the other way round.  As you
noted yourself, a less expensive scanner is better in this regard.

Regards,

Dave King

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.