Re: filmscanners: Best value sure thing scanner...

Kurt: If you are only going to be scanning 35mm cut negs or slides, the Minolta
Scan
Elite is a great scanner... I was going to buy a Nikon Coolscan LS2000, but my
local
pro store (pictureline in Salt Lake City) recommended the Minolta, and they
sell Nikon
as well... I use the Minolta software, it is user friendly, you get a SCSI card
with
the scanner, it is a fairly easy install (you do need to be careful about the
IRQ for
the SCSI) and the scanner has digital ICE which virtually eliminates my
problems with
dust... It will give you a 2820 DPI file, which translates to an image of about
12.5 x
9 or so at 300 DPI output, maybe a little larger... I do a TWAIN import direct
into
PShop (I bring the negs in as 16 bit linear files and invert in PShop), and the
16 bit
fiule size is a little over 50 megs... The scanner is quiet, reliable and gives
me
sharp images with a full tonal range... anyway, that's my 2 centavos...

Mike Moore
www.arcportal.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.