Re: filmscanners: Bulk scanning

There are a number of important factors you need to provide for anyone
to give you a reasonable analysis of what will be good value for you.

1)  What platform are you using

I happen to know you have to be using a PC system, because the HP
doesn't work with Macs, but others might not know this

2) Does your system support SCSI or USB or Firewire? (Firewire isn't an
issue yet with film scanners, but will be soon)

3) What type of films are you using?  Color or B&W, transparency or neg,
mixture of above?  What speed films (grain aliasing might be an issue).

4)  Do you care more about speed of scan or quality, or must you have both?

5)  COST!  How much do you want to spend... a major factor when speaking
about value.

6)  Do you shoot panoramic images (non-standard 35mm frame sizes)

7) What do you like or hate about your current scanner?

8) Do you tend to spend a lot of time fixing dust spots, dirt and scratches?

9) Do you scan many faded/older color images?

All these facts will enter into which unit would best fit your needs.
Otherwise, its a bit of mindreading.

Art

Kurt Simpson wrote:

> You know I've spent a lot of time lurking on this list and I wonder if the
> experts could give a bit of a gift to those of us who are beginners but want
> to put our feet down on solid ground with a good purchase choice. I have an
> HP S20xi Photosmart that is on the blink and ready for replacement. Is there
> any consensus on the list concerning a very solid well-priced unit or units?
> Perhaps one that benefits very well from Vuescan ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kurt Simpson
> Editor
> Dual Sport News
>
> I've been holding out for the new Nikons but am wondering after hearing of
> the focus problems on the most recent models...

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.