RE: filmscanners: JPEG Loss - File format

Mark wrote:
>>So the image DOES degrade with each iteration, whether or not it is
changed.

And Laurie answered:
>Aside from the fact that this does not sound right to me nor has it been my
experience ... [it would] not become so until a very large number of
iterations had been gone through.

This would be a little like "Schrodinger's Cat" in my experience, akin to
quantum physics. :-)  Max Plank, I'm not, but I've seen images degrade
surprisingly in very few iterations, and not at all in others! Why this is
so, I don't know--my Windoze does "secret stuff" behind my back all the
time. Nor have I had the time to dig into it, but it actually *does* seem to
happen (see earlier posts and a JPEG I sent about 5 months ago).

My solution would be to do everything in TIFF (or your own personal
favorite), and JPEG only the final image. If you think you'll need to go
back in and change it, keep the Tiff or PSG on file, and change that.
Caution never hurts.

My 3-cents worth (again, but from experience)
--LRA