RE: filmscanners: Nikon 4000ED Focus problem

Mark T. writes ...

> I might accept this sort of problem from a cheap SLR zoom
> lens, but what's the point of a 4000 dpi scanner if
> it's out-of-focus in places?  ...
>
> Tony wrote:
> >Mikael Risedal (risedal@hotmail.com) wrote:
> >
> >> There is a problem with the film holders and flatness of
> the film. No film are exactly flat,
> >>  and ED 4000 overall sharpness are
> not good  because of curved film..
> >
> >The only scanners I have ever seen this problem on have
> been Nikons, unless film is grossly curved.

        This is a bit disconcerting ... indeed, why offer 4000dpi resolution?

        For my LS-2000, I found this to be particularly true for one type of
film feeder and not the other.  That is, for the film strip feeder I
measured considerable difference for fine focus, edge to center.  But
that this is improved significantly if the film frame is supported
(sandwiched) on all four sides in the 6x "film strip holder".  Has
Nikon discontinued the same film holder they have included with every
scanner since the LS-10???

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.